signature glitter sigcakes.

signature glitter sigcakes.

Monday, December 12, 2011

what's crackin'?

Graham crackers. I'd say a staple item in many households...good for baking, snacking, building, creating. We were never a graham cracker family, though. Never did I get them in my lunch bag, never were we the family to bring the s'mores fixings on our Catalina trips. But, considering all the cool things you can do with graham crackers (helloooo, gingerbread houses!!), I'd say they're a pretty nifty snack food.

Earlier this year I lived with my lovely Danish family in Denmark. Ok, let's get some things straight...when I refer to my 'Danish family' (which I will be referring to often, as they are a huge part of my life), I'm talking about the family with whom I lived for 3 years in Lithuania and then lived with in Denmark for a few months. Ok, so back to the story. While living with my cozy Danish family, I decided what a perfect opportunity to try out recipes for the kids and their friends! Score! I will ALWAYS find a reason to bake, and kids are ALWAYS a perfect audience. While in Denmark, I taught English at the local school. I worked with grades 3, 5 and 7 and taught lessons on English grammar, sentence structure and vocabulary development. In addition to teaching English, I also found myself talking about American culture often... including explaining the concept of s'mores. It's an unusual concept for a non-American, yet brilliant when you actually think about it. A toasted gooey marshmallow nuzzled with a slab of slowly melting chocolate, sandwiched between two crispy cookie crackers? Ummmmmmmm..... give me...s'more. Determined to bring these s'mores to life, and unsuccessful in finding graham crackers at local grocery stores, I found a delightful recipe online. The. kids. loved. loved. loved. s'mores. The homemade graham crackers only made the treat more decadent. 

This time, I made the graham crackers, but cut them into shapes and gifted them to my 3rd graders at Lithuanian School :)  Success! 


the recipe yields tons and tons of these cookies!
decorate with a simple powdered sugar + water icing! 

two little buddies. 
all wrapped up! 

1 comment: