signature glitter sigcakes.

signature glitter sigcakes.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

oat.flax.fruit.carrot.coconut.


The story of how these cookies came to be is short and well...not so sweet. 

For Lent, I gave up eating sweets and baking with sugar. For a split millisecond I pondered giving up baking all together. hah! What a funny funny thought. 

The muse for these cookies was a successful job interview. I wanted a treat to celebrate, so I began my sugarless adventure.

The cookies consist of a fine range of pantry leftovers. Dried fruit, random nuts (pecans, almonds), flax seeds, sesame seeds, dried coconut. To add texture, moisture, flavor and some color, I added carrots and fresh coconut. 

Recipe

handful of dried fruit
handful of nuts
1/2 cup oats
1 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup dried coconut shreds 
1 egg (beaten with a splash of water)
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup honey 
1 cup flour
5 carrots - shaved and pureed 
4 tablespoons fresh coconut chopped and pureed with carrots 

Mix all ingredients together. If too dry, add more liquid (water or oil). The honey will make the cookies rather sticky and moist -- do not be afraid, this is exactly how it should be! 

Bake at 350 F for 8-10 min.

Devour! 



I added more honey to this batch -- yummmm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment